Pressure: My New Middle Name

I remember entering high school with the least bit of knowledge as to what my experience as high school would turn out to be. Would it be exciting? Stressful? Would I be willing to do it all over again?

Nearly four years have passed and in just a few months, my high school experience will be over. The years leading up to senior year have been eventful, some years more so than others. Despite the profitable and enjoyable moments endured during my years in high school, I can't seem to get my mind off of the pressure of senior year.

There is no question that I have worked hard the past couple of years, taking the more rigorous courses, joining a plethora of clubs and organizations, and assuming several leadership roles just to ensure that I remain busy. Although I have managed to earn a 4.0, the thought of being accepted to my top college/university choices plagues both my heart and mind.

I have taken the SAT I and SAT II subject tests as well as the ACT and I feel that my scores do not reflect my true ability and willingness to thrive in an ivy league. Because of the reputation I developed at school and at home, people kind of expect me to attend a prestigious university, when the reality of it all is that such may not be the case. I feel as though I've been working to maintain this reputation, and too, have used my reputation as a false sense of of security in that getting into college will be a piece of cake.

Now that the time has come, I can't even begin to explain how overwhelming the college application process has become.

Test scores. Recommendations. Essays. MONEY!

The four things mentioned above are just about the only things I think about. If I'm not writing an essay or scurrying around the school for recommendations, I'm either dwelling on my poor test scores or worrying how I'm going to pay for school yet alone the applications to get in! Yes, even something so small as an application fee is hindering my chance of going to college.

Bottom line, money is an issue.

I do not wish to use money as my excuse, but it does in fact have a lot to do with the pressures present in my life right now.

In a perfect world, test scores wouldn't matter, but the grades and participation in school would suffice. In a perfect world, everyone would have the chance to be interviewed by their select college choices rather than trying to conjure up creativity to sell themselves on paper? In a perfect world, "chance" would be the solution to my dilemma.

But the world isn't perfect, and never will the world be perfect.

So what to do now?

Post a Comment

If you do not have a blogger/google account, please select the option to comment using your Name/URL or Anonymously. These options can be found at the bottom of this page. If you do not have a URL, simply list your Twitter address or leave the field blank.

Please avoid posting offensive comments to myself and other commentors. Keep profanity to a minimum!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]